Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Silver Bullet - Albuterol

I had recently noticed in my comments that some of you CMS patients are having success with Albuterol (thanks Marika & Denise!!!).

I had a follow up appointment scheduled with my neurologist, Dr. Ringel almost 2 weeks ago so I thought- why not ask him If I can try it?

I've been on Ephedrine Sulfate capsules the past 4-5 months (and mostly happy) so I wasn't in a big hurry to try something new, but I got a prescription for 2mg tablets of Albuterol and took my last Ephedrine capsule on Saturday, Aug. 23.

It's been 10 days since i've been taking Albuterol, I take a single 2mg tablet each time I take a 60mg Mestinon (3 or 4 times a day).

Uhhhh.....AWESOME!

I feel soooo much better!

My preliminary feedback is that Albuterol works MUCH BETTER than Ephedrine in treating my CMS symptoms, and without the nasty Ephedrine side effects. I have always used my chewing as a barometer for how the rest of me is feeling- I can CHEW MY FOOD AGAIN!

I'm very excited!

Thanks again to Marika & Denise!!!!

3 comments:

Andrea "The H family" said...

Oh KEN!! I'm so excited!!!!
I actually put that med on my 'treatment' section on my blog!! After hearing from Denise..I put it on there! I'm SO JAZZED and PRAISE GOD!!!

Denise said...

Wow! It is so exciting that they are finding new and better ways of treating different forms of CMS! I have been using the Albuterol for about two mths now and I am in awe of how good I feel too. I have even gained about 15lbs since using it, which is a lot for me since I have always been the same weight most of my adult life.

What a wonderful "thing" this internet is where we can reach out to people vitually anywhere in the world and share our experiences with these rare disorders!

CMS Ken said...

I'm gaining weight too!

I was so hungry after work today (yes, i'm working again too!) that I ate a WHOLE rotisserie chicken AND a Marie Calender's frozen entre...with NO problems chewing or swallowing!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!